Sunday, 9 November 2008

Lots to Do Challenge Blog - Week 34 - Remembrance

It is my turn to choose the theme for the Lots to do challenge blog this week. I have chosen Remembrance as today is Remembrance Sunday in the UK.

I was over in Belgium in the summer and had a chance to go to Ypres. This is one of the things on my "to do list" so I jumped at the opportunity to go.
As we were heading towards Ypres we saw lots of war cemeteries, we stopped off at one and was told that it is where the author of the poem "In Flanders Fields" worked as there was a field hospital at the site. We later went onto the Menim Gate and heard the last post. The whole experience was so moving and it made me think a whole lot more about what people did for us years ago.


I have made an 8 x 8 canvas for this challenge.
I covered the canvas in acrylic paint and them added other colours of acrylic to the edges.
I then printed onto tissue paper the poem "In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae.
I covered the canvas in mod podge and then added the poem to the centre.
I covered the poem with mod podge and then left it to dry.
I bought some poppies and added them around the poem.



5 comments:

Claireabelle said...

This is absolutely lovely Ang, very fitting
xxx

sam21ski said...

Oh Ang, this is just fab and what a lovely thought whilst you were over in Belgium xxxx

crafty creations said...

It's beautiful Ang

mommabear said...

Its great Ang

Mags said...

Stunning, love it!